To attempt to dedicate oneself to the arduous maintenance of somebody else’s self-esteem while totally disregarding one’s own welfare and self-respect.
That is the very meaning of absurdity.
Sometimes it may also be confused with true love; to abandon the self in favor of another without any consideration for reward. But that is only if the person making the sacrifice does so willingly, without the threat of any kind of emotional blackmail. Without those qualifications, self-sacrifice is reduced to mere subservience, a degradation of the self.
To confuse subservience for love is to enter a prison of one’s own design, where every act of kindness becomes another bar on the cage. I know this because I lived it, pouring myself into someone who only learned to take, never to return. What began as devotion slowly turned into depletion, a steady erosion of dignity that I mistook for loyalty.
But love that requires the death of the self is not love at all. It is dependence dressed in romance, manipulation veiled as passion. And when the heart finally learns to distinguish between the two, the revelation is bitter but liberating.
In the end, I learned that self-respect is not selfishness, and boundaries are not betrayals. To love someone else without first protecting your own dignity is to build a house on sand, doomed to collapse under the weight of its own contradictions. Real love, if it ever arrives, must be a partnership of equals, not a hierarchy of sacrifice.
No comments:
Post a Comment